I have an 8 mo old daughter and have been feeling very hopeless and like life has nothing to offer me. Being a mother has been very overwhelming for me and my husband does not understand. He thinks I'm exaggerating when I say I hate my life and wish I could leave. But I can't tell you how often I think about my before parenthood days and how simple things where. If only I realized that then. I have gone to counseling once shortly after my daughter was born but did not like the counselor, she looked younger than me and like I was from another planet since I couldn't stop crying. I felt very silly and never went back. I seem to be getting worse instead of better. I thought I'd get use to this by now, but I haven't. I don't know what to do. Our HMO limits where we can go for mental health care. Any suggestions would be helpful. I feel like an island all alone because I don't want to tell anyone exactly how I'm feeling because I'm afraid they will think I don't love my daughter. Which is not true. I love her very much, but this is the hardest job I've ever had.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.